CASE MANAGEMENT FOR JUSTICE, COURTS
The WITS platform supports Case Management for justice-involved clients. This includes a robust problem-solving courts module, as well as Re-entry planning for adults, and Juvenile Justice.
WITS Problem Solving Court provides states and local jurisdictions the ability to manage all aspects of an individual’s involvement in a diversionary or problem-solving court, and their progress through the treatment and recovery process. Problem Solving Courts are currently used for Drug, Mental Health, Veterans, DUI, and Family courts, but can be configured to meet any additional court type as well.
The unique structure of WITS allows Court Coordinators to record their own data regarding the client’s progress through the court, and can also allow information from treatment providers to be shared. This integration allows court coordinators to see activities such as attendance at treatment and drug test results, without cumbersome phone calls to update the information each week. This information is then compiled into a Progress Report to offer a comprehensive look at the individual’s case and progress. Many courts are able to display the progress report in court, further eliminating the need for printed reports.
- Screen clients at points of engagement in 10 minutes, using the integrated ORAS or other tools
- Treatment Service planning integration and tracking
- Whole person care coordination through robust case management
- Role-based inclusion of providers, judges, coordinators, and probation officers
- Record drug test results, sanctions and incentives, phases, community service hours, and other critical court information
- Using the 42 CFR Part 2-compliant consent and referral process, share data with treatment providers
- Generate a client progress report showing all treatment and court case management activities
- Collect and track associated fees
- Access and analyze data to determine the overall success of individuals within the problem-solving court process
Criminal Justice Re-Entry
One feature that sets FEI’s WITS system apart from many more traditional case management systems is the integration of several workflows which support criminal justice related programs. In 2012, the Tennessee Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services (TDMHSAS) implemented a criminal justice module within WITS to manage its Statewide Re-entry Program. Today, this module is used in over 65 counties in Tennessee. WITS manages the assessment, planning and referral activities for individuals who are reentering community-based services from prisons and jails, to ensure a smooth transition into treatment in the community. Tennessee uses a recovery support individual, called a Criminal Justice Liaison (CJL), as their Reentry Coordinators. These individuals administer an evidence-based assessment, then work with the client to build a plan based on identified needs. As re-entry approaches, the list of needs may include housing, employment or other supports. This allows for the location of strong community-based services for the client upon release. The CJL will follow the individual after re-entry to ensure the referrals to services have been successful and that the individual has followed through with appointments. California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation has a similar process, using a certified assessment tool prior to release, which is repeated after release by probation and parole.
Coordinated Case Management
- Use an industry standard assessment, or work with FEI to build your own assessment tool based on current population needs.
- Perform the assessment at a variety of points during incarceration (including intake) leading up release, to and after re-entry, to obtain data regarding an individual’s changing needs for services
- Develop a case re-entry plan that can be accessed by prison staff as well as probation and parole
- Help the individual address goals and objectives leading toward a planned re-entry
- Locate community-based services based on identified needs and perform a warm transfer
- Follow up after release to ensure the individual’s needs are met and recovery is continuing
CORE COURT FEATURES
WITS is a web based system that contains a comprehensive series of modules that allow users (e.g., problem solving court staff as well as treatment providers) the ability to track, monitor and report on clients enrolled in court programs. Access to the system is controlled through roles, which allow each agency to determine which screens and actions should be accessible to each user. In some cases, a court case manager may have access to certain screens within the court component, and treatment providers may record their client encounters in a separate component based on their assigned roles. Drug test results may be recorded by other users, and in some cases are imported directly from labs. During the implementation of the system, FEI Systems works extensively with the customer to configure the system to best meet the needs and process of each problem solving court.
Generally, the WITS court system is organized into the following sections:
Integrated Scheduling & Group Notes
System Generated User Alerts
Let’s Work Together
Interested in learning more about our solutions? Use the contact form and we’ll get back to you!